For avid WhatsApp users, you would be delighted to know that there is a way to be the first to experience WhatsApp new features for the app before it releases to stable public version. And yes, they are free and installable straight to your smartphone. This program is available for Android and iOS users.
Here is why you would be interested in joining the WhatsApp Beta program. For one, you will be able to use and experience the app’s latest features. Like for example, if there is a new way to backup WhatsApp messages or graphical effect that is due to roll out in the next month, you get to experience it now. Or when a new album design is going to enhance the app’s overall look, you get to have it firsthand on your device.
So if you think that this program is in line to your liking, perhaps it’s time to learn how to make it happen. In this article, we will teach you how to be a WhatsApp Beta Tester. The guide would be easy, so you can be a beta tester in just a minute or two.
How to Sign Up for WhatsApp Beta
In case you are having doubts, let me clarify to you that joining the beta testing program is always optional. And the best part is you can always switch back to stable public version anytime you want. So basically, you have nothing to lose but to experience the latest and the greatest upcoming features of the WhatsApp.
- This should be done on the smartphone device that you want to install the WhatsApp beta app. So make sure that you are viewing this on your Android phone. If not, just copy this URL link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.whatsapp?pli=1
- Also, on your smartphone, your Google account should be currently logged in as this will be the authentication email that WhatsApp will be using.
- Uninstall the current WhatsApp stable build on your device.
- If you have done that already, you may tap on the “Become a Tester” button.
- When the confirmation “You are now a tester” appears, you may tap on the “Download the WhatsApp messenger app on Google Play” button just right below the page.
- The Play Store should now launch and take you straight to the WhatsApp messenger beta version.
- Tap Install, and that’s it. All the current and incoming new updates for features and design will be sent to your smartphone. And you can then experience it all ahead of everyone that is using the stable public version.
In Case You Want To Sign Out of WhatsApp Beta Tester Program
If you ever change your mind, WhatsApp has also made it easy for you to opt out of the beta testing program. Just do these simple steps.
- Open the Google Play Store.
- Go to the WhatsApp page by typing the app’s name in the search bar of Play Store.
- Once you are in, scroll the page until you see the Beta Tester button.
- Tap Leave and in a few seconds, you are out of the beta program.
- Uninstall the WhatsApp beta version.
- Close the Play Store and relaunch to search for the WhatsApp messenger.
- If the Beta version name is not associated with the app anymore, that means you are finally out of the program and can install the public stable version again.
- Tap install and that’s it.
Advantage and Disadvantage of WhatsApp Beta version
Well, having the latest features of the most popular messaging app is not always goodness and glitters. There are also some downsides to this program. But do not worry. To give you some idea of what is at stakes here, I will list the advantages and disadvantages of being a beta tester.
- Experience the latest features of WhatsApp messenger.
- Help out developers identify bugs and issues to new updates.
- Help with the improvement of WhatsApp messenger experience.
- Be ahead of your friends in terms of WhatsApp functionalities.
- Since the features are new and under beta testing, there will be some bugs.
- You will experience more app crashes.
- As the unstable status indicates, you might occasionally experience abnormalities with battery consumption, WhatsApp signal drop, or irregular fluctuation of RAM and CPU usage.
- Random inconvenience on emergency instances where you want to use the app but crashes instead.
The WhatsApp Beta Testing program is not for everybody. If you are a power user, the beta version will not work for you the way that you want to. As we have mentioned the disadvantages of the beta app, you will experience random crashes and freezes while using it.
We are not saying that there will be crashes and freezes every single day while using the WhatsApp beta version. We are saying that you should expect it to happen since the app is still under development.
This program is for those who want to experience the app’s upcoming features and are willing to brave the bugs and other beta issues. Also, keep in mind that being a beta tester helps with the improvement of the app itself.
So do you think you can be a beta tester? Are you willing to be the one to test out the new features and will not mind the random crashes and bugs? If so, go on ahead and sign up on Google Play Store.
If you have questions regarding today’s topic, you may leave your queries in the comment section below, and we will make sure to answer all of them. And if you have friends that want to be a beta tester, feel free to share this article with them.