Do you want to remove arrows from shortcut from the desktop icons in your Windows 7/8/8.1 computer? If yes then read this step-by-step guide on how to remove arrows from shortcuts on PC Windows 10.
In Windows OS computers, whenever you create a shortcut of any software or folder on your desktop a little arrow comes along with the shortcut icon. One can notice the white shortcut arrow on the bottom left side of any desktop icon.
This indicator is pretty useful. As one can easily recognize which one is a shortcut and which one is the file by just seeing the white arrow.
The feature is not bad when we are using it for creating shortcuts into a folder (or any other place rather than the desktop). But, there is an ugly part to this.
Imagine a scenario where you have 15 shortcuts on your desktop, now the same arrows will look like useless junk which are just covering the icons space and designs. So it’s very likely that you will want to get rid of this arrow mark from your shortcut icons.
Ironically, there is a (little tricky) method available to remove arrows from shortcuts in any Windows computer (like Windows 7/8/8.1). The method goes through editing some settings in the RegEdit of Windows.
Don’t worry it’s not rocket science. Anyone can do this. Just follow the step-by-step guide below to learn how you can do this.
How to Remove Arrows from Shortcuts Windows 7/8/8.1
1. First of all press “Start+R” from the keyboard to open the RUN.
2. Now type “RegEdit” there and press Enter to open the RegEdit window.
3. Nou will see on the left side, there will be some drop downs. Browse and navigate to -“KEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerShell Icons.”
Note: If you don’t see any key called Shell Icons you have to create it by right-clicking on the Explorer> Key> New >Choose Key (Name the key “Shell Icons”).
4. Now right-click on any space in the right pane of the Shell icons key for creating a new string value. You have to give that new string the name of 29.
5. Next double-click on the 29 entries to modify it. In the value data box, enter – “C:WindowsSystem32shell32.dll,50” and click on OK.
6. Now restart your computer to see the changes.
This tutorial on how to remove arrows from shortcuts on Windows 10 is only applicable if you don’t save files on your desktop. Otherwise, you might get confused on which is the shortcut or the files. But that’s probably just an issue when you are not that familiar with your icons.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave a message in the comment section below. We will try to get back to you as soon as possible.