Do you want to have WordPress on your PC/Mac? That idea is possible as there are many tools nowadays that can install WordPress locally on any computer without much hassle. And this article will teach you exactly that.
Since you came here with the purpose of installing WordPress locally on a Windows machine (or Mac), you obviously have a need for it. It may be that you want to test out some WordPress themes, plugins, new features, or coding before you put it on an actual website.
If that is your intention, you are on the right track. You see, many web developers prefer doing this kind of method because they will be able to test any new major changes that they want to implement on their site. Doing it locally, they will be able to spot some issues that may affect their audience’s experience.
Apparently, most methods of doing this require a lot of steps. But we have the simplest and even the quickest way to make it happen for you. So without further ado, let’s help you learn how to install WordPress locally on Windows PC/laptop or any Mac Machine.
Recommended Read: 16 Best Free Blogger Templates (Responsive & SEO Friendly).
Installing WordPress Locally with InstantWP
- First is to get the latest InstantWP software. You can get it from the official website. (The file is around 300mb so you may try IDM to speed up the download.)
- After the download finishes, you will find that the file is in compressed zip format. To be able to extract the InstantWP software, you must have WinRAR or 7zip installed.
- Extract InstantWP on your local drive. To make it work seamlessly, do not put the InstantWP folder inside another folder. Just extract it as a standalone folder. (The screenshots are for windows, but Mac will be pretty same too)
- After the extraction, open the folder and look for the Start-InstantWP file.
- Click on it to launch. Since this is the first time to open the software, the loading should take long.
- After it loads, the InstantWP window should appear. Click on Next as you will find some briefings regarding how the software works.
- After the introduction, you should be directed to InstantWP Control Panel.
- Click on the WordPress Frontpage. This will take longer since this is your first time to do this. If your web browser does not launch in 3-5 minutes, you should quit the app and restart InstantWP.
- If your default web browser (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox) loads and shows on the address bar something like 127.0.0.1:10080/wordpress/ then you are good to go.
- Again this will take a little longer. Be patient. The speed will eventually improve after a number of launches.
- When it finally loads up, you should see the IWP logo on a webpage-like look.
- On the InstantWP IP address, add wp-admin. It should look like this: 127.0.0.1:10080/wordpress/wp-admin
- Then press Enter key.
- You will then be redirected to the login page. Type “admin” for username and “password” for password then press Enter again.
- You will now see the WordPress Dashboard.
- That’s it. You may code and install whatever new features you want and design to your website. You may even create articles or any type of content using this dashboard.
The local WordPress on your Windows PC or Mac is the best place to test out all the features that you want to install on your actual website. This way, if anything wrong or issue were to happen with the changes, you will be able to see it as early as possible. And thus, your website will not be affected along with your audiences.
This is also the best way to learn how to do web developing. You can test out some new stuff on a simulated WordPress environment much identical to an actual WordPress website.
If you have questions, you may leave your queries in the comment section. We love to know what you think and your opinions as well.